Seven years back, after leaving Darbhanga for higher studies, the only place where I have parked my bags, is Bangalore. I hated this city like hell then, as my ignorant and illogical self held it responsible for me having to depart with my much loved family. I felt like a stranger in the unknown place and did not have even an atom bit of belonging towards it, leave alone gratitude for rendering invaluable education. Whether it be the excellently moderate weather, rare load-shedding, an array of opportunities, fascinating Brigade / MG road, cosmopolitan lifestyle, etc. etc… just nothing about the city was nice then. I hated Bangalore even more specially for being so sickly connected to my place that it took me three whole days to get home even on a direct train… No exaggeration! Every single time, the thought of going to Bangalore again after holidays made me fall sick a few days prior to my travel dates and the final day used to be the most-gloomy of my then life. This episode repeated periodically for three long years.
Then gradually, my odium towards the city started to thaw out a little as my fate for next two years was again sealed in Bangalore thanks to my admission in Christ College. I was forced to surrender as I accepted the fact that I was condemned to the place. I started to hang out a little and see places with friends. Although shallow pockets and limited accessibility forced us to confine ourselves to Dhaba, Lalbagh and at the most Forum, it surely couldn’t restrict the fun element in there. Being able to roam around without parental supervision, go watch movies of alien languages for the heck of bunking classes, wear funny clothes of weird colours and combinations, being able to make the loudest noise without caring about people looking, walking through the streets with friends even at nights was what I could have never dreamed of doing at Darbhanga.Subconsciously, I began to develop a tinge of attachment with the city. And then, despite having made a deliberate attempt to relocate, I got my first job again in Bangalore and that too in the Real Estate sector. That was where roaming around about became more of a professional requirement than a fun activity. And strangely, instead of complaining, I loved it.
My fondness of this place developed exponentially mostly because of the people who I made friends with and who have been a family to me, to have stood by my side whenever needed. My stint in Bangalore was made smooth by these paladins who were so picked-and-chosen to be around me. Though being geographically challenged has severe limitations but the fear of getting lost was out of question because of my friends who, being aware of this disorder, came to my rescue by being available on mobiles to guide whenever I was stuck trying to reach somewhere.And today, when I am back to Darbhanga, I miss Bangalore like hell. A short while back, I had been there on a trip and the moment I stepped in the city, I felt as if I belong to the place. Darbhanga, no doubt was meant to be my home even before I came to life but I never realized when Bangalore became a haven, which taught me to “live life” :D
Well.. Join the club Deepti...!!! There are so many of us who just love that city, and the reason why I love it is quite similar to yours. Nice piece I must say... potent use of words... keep it coming I say...!!! :-)
ReplyDeleteAnd now your 'sasuraal' is also Bangalore... Which means you will have to keep coming back.
That is what our state is like once u make it ur home u will never want to part away from it. wherever u are u ll remember the sweet memories associated with it.
ReplyDeleteTlk bout how much i miss Blore .... i so belong to BLORE FOREVER
ReplyDelete